Launched in 2019, THE CITY is New York City’s preeminent nonprofit, nonpartisan, local news organization. Working across all five boroughs, our award-winning journalists bring deeply diverse skills and backgrounds to the task of covering New York’s neighborhoods, holding the powerful to account, and making sense of the greatest city in the world, particularly in these unprecedented times.
In the past year, journalism by THE CITY exposed inequities in vaccine access, helped secure repairs in public housing, and shone a spotlight on New York’s delivery workers. THE CITY collaborated with readers to share stories of loved ones lost to COVID, leading to our Missing Them project, widely noted for its innovation. And our Meet Your Mayor interactive guide helped hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers make sense of a wild election.
THE CITY is currently in a growth phase that will add reporting and editing firepower to our newsroom, strengthen our business capabilities, and build our membership base.
THE CITY is seeking an innovative and energetic Engagement Editor passionate about collaboration to lead our efforts to involve New Yorkers in our work, help create relevant news products and build community.
As Engagement Editor you will...
- Leading our Open Newsroom effort, working with partners to convene New Yorkers in discussion about the most urgent issues they face, using digital tools to solicit feedback, questions and ideas, and co-ordinating with reporters and editors across the newsroom to share insights and develop new areas of coverage
- Conceiving and executing exciting projects — big and small, both long-term and short-term to deliver on our mission and to meet the demands of a rapidly changing news cycle
- Working closely with editorial, product, audience and social media colleagues to maintain existing products and develop new ones — including newsletters, explainers and data resources
- Recruiting and managing interns and freelancers
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with journalism schools and other external collaborators
- Contributing to the development of our broader audience strategy, working with the Editor in Chief and Executive Director
- Three to five years relevant work experience
- You’re a born collaborator and communicator who works well with people in the newsroom and beyond
- You’re great at forging creative, strategic partnerships
- You’re a big picture thinker able to focus on and master the small details that get the job done
- You are a skilled delegator and project manager
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You’re an ideas machine who embraces listening, learning and iterating
- You’re eager and able to work closely with a wide-ranging newsroom and executive team — getting them as excited as you are about the next big idea
- You love people and news...
THE CITY is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Other things to know...
Salary Range: $110,000 to $125,000
Benefits: Generous paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 8 holidays and 8 paid sick days. Medical, Dental and Vision. 401k Plan
Location: New York City (Obviously)