Launched in 2019, THE CITY is New York City’s preeminent nonprofit, independent, local news organization. Working across all five boroughs, our award-winning journalists bring deeply diverse skills and backgrounds to the task of covering New York’s neighborhoods, holding the powerful to account, and making sense of the greatest city in the world for those who live in it.
THE CITY is currently in a growth phase that will strengthen our business capabilities, build our contributed income and membership base, and expand our newsroom.
The Executive Assistant to the Executive Director is responsible for providing comprehensive support to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and leadership team. This position requires the ability to anticipate needs, offer solutions, and communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
As Executive Assistant you will…
- Provide calendar management for the Executive Director (ED) . Prioritize inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts and supporting structured, effective use of time.
- Provide scheduling support to the Editor in Chief and Development Director.
- Act as a liaison and provide support to the Board of Directors. Arrange and handle all logistics for Board meetings and events: schedule meetings; draft agendas; develop, compile, and distribute presentation materials; and record meeting minutes on behalf of the Board Secretary. Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding Board matters.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks that facilitate the ED’s ability to effectively lead the organization, including: assisting with special projects; designing and producing complex documents, reports, and presentations; collecting and preparing information for meetings with staff and outside parties; drafting correspondence; maintaining contact lists; making travel arrangements; and completing expense reports.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the ED. Prioritize and determine appropriate course of action to reflect ED style and organization policy.
- Work closely with the ED to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Anticipate the ED needs in advance of meetings, conferences, and support day-to-day effectiveness..
- Coordinate Leadership Team meetings and assist with staff meetings and events as needed.
- Complete projects by assigning work to appropriate staff, including the leadership team, on behalf of the ED.
- Work with the Leadership Team to coordinate the ED’s outreach activities. Follow up on contacts made by the ED and Director of Development to cultivate ongoing relationships.
- Provide event management support as requested.
- Other projects/duties as assigned for the overall benefit of the organization.
- Strong ability to execute work with a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens.
- Significant executive support experience, including supporting C-level executives. Nonprofit board experience is an advantage.
- Expert proficiency with standard productivity software and; ability to design and edit presentations and written materials.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Collaborative attitude, ability to coordinate and deconflict competing demands
- High degree of professionalism in dealing with diverse groups of people, including Board members, senior executives, staff, community leaders, donors, and partners.
- Ability to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with limited guidance.
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
- In office requirement: 3 days
- Knowledge of New York City
- Media and/or non-profit experience is an advantage, but not required.
THE CITY is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with experience in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Other things to know…
Salary Range: $90,000 - $110,000
Benefits: Generous paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 8 holidays and 8 paid sick days.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Location: New York City