Unless otherwise noted, you may republish the text of articles published by THE CITY for free under the Creative Commons “Attribution” license. Here’s all you need to do:
- Hit the “Republish” button on the story. If it works for your site, copy the HTML code on the right and paste it into your CMS. That should give you the story text, along with photos and graphics from the body of the article (see important note on photo use below). You also can just pick up plain text by copying from the bottom right. In either case, we need you to do a couple more things before publishing…
- You must give us credit, in this format: “by [AUTHOR NAME], THE CITY”.
- Please include a line at the top of the story with our logo that reads: “This story was originally published on [DATE] by THE CITY. Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning.” (Make sure that THE CITY is all-caps and bold.) The words “originally published” must link back to the original post on our site (not our homepage). Here’s some handy code you can use to get all that done:
- At the end of the story, you must include the line as seen in the HTML and plain text: “THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit news organization dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York,” with a canonical link tag back to the original story. Here’s that code, just in case:
- For print outlets, the above all applies, save for embedding links. You must include our main url – www.thecity.nyc – in the tagline: “THE CITY (www.thecity.nyc) is an independent, nonprofit news organization dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.”
- Let us know when you use our work by sending us an email to email@example.com.
Some other important notes:
- You must not edit, cut or alter the story, except to suit your in-house style (e.g. % vs. “percent,” honorifics, etc).
- When publishing the story, you also can publish original photos, graphics and other media with proper attribution. Third-party content that is not owned by THE CITY, including photos from agencies, must be separately licensed. You are solely responsible for identifying and licensing third-party content. THE CITY expressly disclaims any liability arising out of your unauthorized use of third-party content.
- If you share the story or a link to the story on social media, please tag us on Twitter and Facebook (@THECITYNY).
- You must not resell the story or sell ads against the story. It’s fine to publish on the story on a page that’s surrounded by previously sold ads, however.
- Any website on which the story appears must include a prominent and effective way to contact your news organization.
We reserve the right to deny, revoke or limit the rights conveyed herein for any reason, including (but not limited to) instances in which these conditions are not met or the reproduced material is not presented in a responsible manner.
THE CITY also occasionally collaborates with other news organizations on reporting and sometimes republishes content from other newsrooms on our website. For partnership inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.