clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

City Council Bids to Save Nixed Summer Youth Jobs Program

Corey Johnson
Council Speaker Corey Johnson
Photo: Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY

This story was originally published by Chalkbeat, a nonprofit news organization covering public education. Sign up for their newsletters here: ckbe.at/newsletters

The New York City Council is “laser-focused” on saving the city’s summer youth jobs program, or at least some version of it, Speaker Corey Johnson said Wednesday.

Earlier this month, city officials slashed the program — which served about 75,000 people from 14 to 24 last year — saying the coronavirus pandemic would prevent participants from safely attending their job sites.

Cutting the summer youth program would save the city $124 million over the current and following fiscal years (which starts July 1) as the city braces for more than $7 billion in lost revenue.

Providers and student advocates have pushed back, asserting the program is a financial lifeline for many low-income students and their families.

Many providers have said they could provide virtual youth employment options, and Johnson warned that young people would need something to do, especially as social distancing might still be the norm.

“If beaches are not open in their full way, if schools are closed, if playgrounds are closed, and if school is out, what are young people gonna do?,” Johnson told reporters Wednesday. “We need to figure out what those options are.”

Teen ‘Disease Detectives’

The council has not yet released an alternative proposal, but Johnson suggested some solutions, such as virtual training or hiring young people at food pantries, as disease detectives, and helping take calls at human services agencies.

A reboot would have a smaller price tag than the fully operational program, Johnson said, adding that the council was working with providers to figure out alternatives as they work to approve a final city budget by sometime in June.

The pressure to save the program has been mounting over the past couple weeks. Staten Island Councilmember Debi Rose, who chairs the council’s Youth Services Committee, penned a letter to the mayor asking for the program to be reinstated. The letter was signed by 17 other council members across the city.

Debi Rose
Councilmember Debi Rose (D-Staten Island)
Emil Cohen/New York City Council

“For many young people, this is about survival,” said Queens Assemblymember Catalina Cruz, who joined Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, and several state lawmakers to voice their support during a Tuesday press conference with advocates.

But convincing the city to fund the program could be challenging. Cruz and a contingent of progressive Democratic lawmakers had unsuccessfully called for raising taxes on the ultra-wealthy to raise revenue for the state budget.

Still, Cruz said she would push City Council to find “novel, alternative ways to raise taxes.”

State Sen. Robert Jackson, of Manhattan, wondered if the city could halt capital projects and apply those savings toward summer youth employment.

City Hall did not immediately respond for comment.


SUPPORT THE CITY

You just finished reading another story from THE CITY.

We need your help to make THE CITY all it can be.

Please consider joining us as a member today.

DONATE TODAY!

SUPPORT LOCAL NEWS. SUPPORT NEW YORK.

THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit newsroom dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York. Please consider joining us as a member today.

GOT A TIP?

We’re here to listen. Email tips@thecity.nyc or visit our tips page for other ways to share.

Sign up for the newsletter Get THE CITY Scoop

Sign up and get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning