Recent Census numbers show deaths and move-outs drove a 300,000-person drop through last summer. Even now, more are moving out than in.
Deaths despite Vision Zero measures and slowing bus speeds signal bumps ahead.
The number of families in shelters has plummeted, while single adults seek shelter in near-record numbers.
The air keeps getting cleaner — but early progress on greenhouse gas reductions has stalled in recent years.
In case you missed it
- Lawyers, Advocates Prod Albany for More Legal Protections for Kids Under Arrest
- Nurses Give Poor Prognosis to Adams Psych Plan, Citing Staff Shortages
- Escape From New York? City Tax Data Shows 2020 Drop in High Earners
- MTA’s On-Street Bus Chargers Need More Flood Protection, Study Warns
- Some NYC Charter Schools Shrank During COVID, but Sector Keeps Growing Overall
LOCAL NEWS POWERED BY NEW YORKERS.
We cover the uncovered, hold the powerful accountable, and make sense of the greatest city in the world.