After a lengthy legal battle over charges of tenant harassment, housing agency lawyers abandon their case as a decades-old document surfaces. A lawyer for some residents calls the reversal “highly suspicious.”
Landlords at the cultural landmark asked the city for permission to continue work that tenants say is causing dangerous conditions inside.
The hotel plan, which dates to 2017, was approved days after Michael Cheng and associates brought in big bucks for de Blasio’s PAC, records show.
The Chelsea Hotel team, which needs approval for renovations, collected checks for the mayor from Barry Diller, Diane von Furstenberg and others.
The historic hotel’s owners helped raise $57,400 for the mayor’s presidential campaign and PACs while trying for approval of overhaul tenants oppose.
In case you missed it
- For Ida-Flooded Homeowners Denied City Payouts, Legal Options and Political Promises
- Battle at Battery Park City Over State Plan to Plow Under Waterfront Green
- The U.S. Has Regained All of Its Lost COVID-Era Jobs — But Not NYC
- Three Local Issues NY-10’s Next Member of Congress Could Actually Influence
- Your City Council District Is Changing Next Year. Here’s How to Weigh In
LOCAL NEWS POWERED BY NEW YORKERS.
We cover the uncovered, hold the powerful accountable, and make sense of the greatest city in the world.